Germany nearly won it all on the water after losing so much off of it. Only a 3-2 loss to Great Britain in the men's under-21 final prevented Germany from sweeping all four divisions at the 2018 International Canoe Federation Canoe Polo World Championships in Welland.
Though Dragon Boat Racing is over 2,000 years old, it is the world’s fastest growing team water sport. Since the formation of the IDBF in 1990, the sport has evolved to become a popular festival in support of local charities. Traditionally, a crew of 22 including a drummer, is required to race these massive 40 ft boats adorned with a dragon head and tail during race festivals. The WIFC is pleased to work with the Welland Dragon Boat Festival, hosted by local charitable organizations (Welland/Pelham Chamber of Commerce, Rotary Club of Welland and Heritage Welland). This community event is a sprint over 500 meters and is held on the North Course of the WIFC.
Notable Dragon Boat events have taken place at the WIFC:
- 2011 Canadian Dragon Boat Championships
- 2014 Canadian Dragon Boat Championships
- 2015 Canadian Dragon Boat Championships
- 2015 Pan American Club Crew Championships
- 2015 International Dragon Boat Federation (IDBF) 12th World Dragon Boat Racing Championships
Upcoming Dragon Boat events at the WIFC:
- Welland Dragon Boat Festival
- 2018 Canadian Dragon Boat Championships